I first had these at Forks Farm in Pennsylvania, and they truly are the Best Ever. They come from Shannon Hayes’ Grassfed Gourmet cookbook, which was gifted to me by the farmers at Forks Farm after I left. My copy is so worn now it’s time I bought a new one – and if you want to excel at preparing pastured and grassfed meats, you should get one too!
- 1½ lb ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried minced onion (or onion powder)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
(I don’t find these need cheese, but if you want to add some, try grating it and mixing it in with the ground beef rather than melting a slice on top!)
- Place ground beef in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the other ingredients and pour over the ground beef, adding the breadcrumbs separately. Using your hands, lightly mix everything together.
- To make the patties, aim for 6 oz of meat each, about 4.5 inches in diameter. To prevent the burgers from getting puffy in the middle, make a thumbprint in the centre of each burger.
- Grill over a nice hot grill (or fry over medium-high heat), uncovered.